Pensions Compliance Manager
Business Area: Group General Counsel
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
To help foster a strong compliance culture across the USSL business through engaging effectively with key business stakeholders regarding USSL’s regulatory responsibilities and working to further embed the USSL compliance framework. This includes supporting delivery of the compliance monitoring plan and ensuring that the USSL compliance manual and any associated policies remain current and appropriate for the business.
• Understanding key regulatory requirements applicable to USSL for both Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution schemes. (TPR, AML and any other applicable legislation)
• Undertake periodic compliance risk assessments to ensure that a risk based approach is being taken to prioritise monitoring activity in USSL.
• Carrying out regular monitoring of the key processes within the business to determine whether the control environment is working effectively to ensure compliance with appropriate regulations.
• Review any ongoing changes in the external regulatory landscape to ensure monitoring schedule remains fit for purpose.
• Provide input on reports that are shared with Audit committee regarding monitoring reviews and progress against the compliance monitoring plan.
• Identifying enhancements to business process and controls arising from monitoring and overseeing implementation of those enhancements.
• Carrying out an annual review of the USSL compliance manual, and all associated policies.
• Support in the design and delivery of the compliance training programme for staff and directors on USSL regulatory compliance.
• Develop and maintain Compliance procedures which provide further detail on the USSL compliance monitoring approach.
• Working closely with the investment management compliance team in London to ensure consistency across our approach to compliance. (e.g. through policies and procedures)
• Support key business stakeholders in being able to effectively implement regulatory change
• Act as a key compliance contact in our Liverpool office, with responsibility for supporting delivery of the USSL compliance monitoring programme.
• Building strong relationships with colleagues within Operational Risk and the wider GGC team.
Attention to detail
Ability to plan and prioritise work effectively
Self-motivated and proactive approach
Extensive experience of working in a compliance monitoring role
Knowledge and understanding of regulatory frameworks
Experience of working in a financial services organisation
Proficient in using Microsoft office
• Experience of working for a pension trustee firm.
• Relevant qualifications from Pensions Management Institute (PMI); International Compliance Association (ICA)
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.