Test Automation Engineer
Business Area: Group Transformation
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Contractor
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
As a Test Automation Engineer working in the Digital Platform Programme team, you will take a leading role in defining and creating high-quality automated test suites for both APIs and web front end portals on this large and complex USS programme. In your capacity as Test Automation Engineer, you will develop key relationships with business and technical colleagues, and senior stakeholders across the organisation.
This role requires you develop knowledge of USS’ business, products and services and use industry best practice in developing the automated test suites. You will also take ownership of the key responsibilities listed below, whilst recognising that the role requires personal flexibility and adaptability to support the business in the delivery of change.
• Take a leading role in the robust design and creation of automated test suites aligned to the agreed testing strategy, including:
• Planning and designing the required tests, ensuring the correct test approach is selected including test objectives, levels of testing, number of cycles and defect management planning.
• Preparation and execution of designed tests including key deliverables to agreed standards (e.g. test scenarios and test scripts) and scheduling all testing activity.
• Developing and agreeing suitable metrics for measuring testing progress and evaluating the quality of the testing delivered and the product.
• Adapting the plan, based on test results and progress, and taking the necessary action to overcome any obstacles or delays.
• Producing test reports, using the agreed metrics, to keep project stakeholders informed of testing progress, including summary reports at project closure.
• Contributing in production in high-quality test plans developed in collaboration with and approved by project stakeholders.
• Proactive collaboration with Digital Architect, Business Analysts, third-party suppliers (e.g. web design agencies) and the wider programme and project teams to ensure that business requirements and solution designs are fully understood as part of the preparation of high-quality testing deliverables, including:
• Reviewing and assessing solution designs for testability and incorporating into test specification deliverables.
• Ensuring end-to-end traceability of business requirements through to test execution, proving test coverage and providing stakeholder assurance.
• Lead the design of tests and preparation of tests using appropriate testing tools, for automation and management, including:
• Use appropriate testing tools to design and execute tests that are automated where possible and provide repeatability across test cycles, particularly in respect of regression testing;
• Ensuring that the necessary test environments are suitable for automated test execution.
• Establish collaborative working relationships across the organisation and with external partners to contribute the testing perspective to change initiatives and ensure its impacts and value are understood.
• Support the continuous improvement of USS’ testing capability by ensuring that industry best practice in testing rigorously applied.
• Actively managing own workload, whilst also supporting the team’s workload management by providing estimates for deliverables that enable capacity and project planning.
• Provide support and mentoring in testing best practice, technical skills and product knowledge, to less experienced members of the team when required.
• A hands-on automated testing engineer who is proficient in C#, .Net;
• Exceptional test design and analysis skills;
• Able to demonstrate experience of the full testing life-cycle from business requirements to test execution through various test phases including risk-based testing approaches;
• Digital deliveries including end-to-end integration testing through a full stack from web front-end applications through to back end platforms;
• Testing API components for Digital delivery including e2e integration and interface protocol testing;
• Automated test design and execution using industry best practice and testing tools e.g. Selenium and FitNesse for repeatability and regression;
• Test design patterns knowledge;
• Continuous integration experience e.g. Jenkins;
• Day to day source control management skills;
• Excellent communication skills: able to present complex scenarios with clarity to key stakeholders at all levels;
Performance testing experience e.g. JMeter;
Industry recognised qualification in testing e.g. ITSQB;
Mentoring less experienced Test Analysts within the team;
Pensions administration system and/or investment platform knowledge;
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.