Technical Services Datacentre Engineer
Business Area: IT
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
The Technical Services – Datacentre Engineer role is to provide technical input on the USS infrastructure platforms, help implement new technology working with the Technical Solutions Architects and to provide escalation support for all technical teams when required. An understanding of the core USS infrastructure platform technologies and the ability to take ownership of technology and problems when needed. To be the escalation point for in and out of hours support issues.
TSDC engineer will be responsible for ensuring the maintenance of the USS infrastructure is on-going and that standards are maintained when new technology is introduced. Ensuring that the end user compute engineers receive the support they need
• Manage both BAU and project workloads, ensure a balance between BAU and projects can be managed effectively.
• Work closely with the Technical Solutions Architects to design and deliver new technologies.
• Work closely with the TSAs when critical incidents occur.
• Manage technical escalations to 3rd parties as required.
• Ensure the stability and security of live systems ensuring effective operation.
• Excellent documentation to provide technology handovers to the wider technical teams.
• Deliver technical change using the USS change control mechanism, ensuring planning and testing is successful and change is predictable.
• Maintain the USS infrastructure through patching, upgrades and maintenance.
• Regular visits as required to the USS hosted datacentres.
• Upholding the standards and professionalism of the team.
• Provide mentor and handover experience to support teams.
• Transition delivery of solutions into support and BAU following handover from project teams.
• Work closely with the wider I.T. teams to provide services where needed.
• Engage with key stakeholders across the USS and USSIM business.
• Be part of the I.T. on-call rota providing out of hours support when needed.
• Be the escalation point for technical issues, lead in the root cause analysis of problems and own issues in critical situations.
• Act as the technical mentor to the End User Compute engineers, enabling them for technical handovers and ownership of technology.
• Encourage a positive and professional team ethic through effective communication. Be approachable to your team and help and assist as required.
• Provide quality control for the team’s work giving guidance when necessary.
Customer Focused Service:
• With customer services a priority for the TST, provide the team with the business knowledge to understand how our organisation works enabling the correct prioritisation of work.
• Engage with key stakeholders on a regular basis, encouraging an open and collaborative communication stream across both Liverpool and London departments.
• Working with project teams, both technical and management, plan technical implementations keeping in mind business impact and on-going support. Ensure project handover is completed prior to any project being closed.
• Have technical input into Infrastructure technologies.
Maintenance & Recovery:
• Ensure that the USS Backup, DR and restore functions are up to date and policies adhered to. Checking that we are meeting audit points on a regular basis.
• Manage the datacentre and EUC patching and maintenance programme to maintain a compliant platform.
• Perform daily tasks under the umbrella of patching and maintenance, ensuring the USS infrastructure is secure and stable for all users.
• Assist senior management with policy and procedure governance ensuring it is up to date
Strong experience and knowledge of core USS technologies including Windows Server, Citrix, SCCM.
Office365 & Cloud technologies.
Technical project delivery and planning.
Experience in multi-site infrastructure support.
Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Able to effectively manage a technical workload both project and BAU.
Some knowledge of XenMobile, Global Protect & XenDesktop
Knowledge of security products such as Palo Alto, Cisco or ForeScout.
Datacentre storage support.
Experience working in investment management and associated technologies involved within that financial area.
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.