Network & Security Manager
Business Area: IT
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
The Network & Security manager, working closely with the IT Infra and Security Manager, will be responsible for the delivery, maintenance and monitoring of all USS and USSIM network and security systems. Specifically taking ownership of the USS WAN, LAN, security platforms and stability. Developing or replacing existing systems offering optimal value to posture across all security and network systems. Introducing consistency and standards across the organisation suggesting changes and improvements where identified. This role will also act as the technical escalation point for any matters that require technical escalation.
• Ensuring the IT networks function is working effectively to maximise availability, stability and performance.
• Identify clear benchmarks and KPI levels.
• Responsible for ensuring standards are met and routine maintenance activities are identified and carried out.
• Working closely with the business to identify scheduled maintenance windows and develop a patching and maintenance strategy in line with the organisations security and maintenance policies.
• Develop and govern IT security technology solutions.
• Develop monitoring systems and implement using infrastructure standards and consistencies.
• Work closely with third parties and manage relationships with I.T. partners.
• Lead by example to ensure high standards of professionalism in all aspects of delivering I.T. services to the business.
• Work with I.T. management and the wider I.T. team to deliver Infrastructure projects (Datacentre, Network & Security).
• Understand the departments strategic objectives and support the delivery of related initiatives.
• Be the technical escalation point for engineers both in and out of business hours as required.
• Work with the business to arrange maintenance windows with a keen appreciation of the business impact and priorities.
• Working with internal teams such as Information Security, Operational Risk and others, ensure that the USS security posture remains at acceptable levels whilst retaining security certification and validation as required by internal and external audit.
• Stay current with technology developments, and make recommendations for change, working closely with the TSA team.
• Ensure change control is managed and followed within the USS change control process.
• Build up and provide reporting on the USS networks and security platforms.
• Encourage a positive and professional team ethic through effective communication and leadership.
• Be approachable to your team and help or assist as required.
• Provide quality control for the team’s work giving mentoring and guidance.
• Manage the team’s performance through USS performance management processes.
• Identify training and development needs for the team.
• Be the escalation point for technical issues, lead in the root cause analysis of problems and own issues in critical situations.
• Act as the technical mentor to the Network & Security team and ensure that skills development is tracked and reportable.
• Engage with other technical teams to empower and facilitate the handover of technology with a focus to enable support services teams.
• Encourage a positive and professional team ethic through effective communication. Be approachable to your team and help and assist as required.
• Provide team with clear objectives, goals and deadlines.
• Effectively manage the team’s workload.
• Provide quality control for the team’s work giving guidance when necessary.
Customer Focused Service:
• With customer services a priority for the Infrastructure function, provide the team with the business knowledge to understand how our organisation works enabling the correct prioritisation of work.
• Engage with key stakeholders on a regular basis, encouraging an open and collaborative communication stream across both Liverpool and London departments.
• Working with project teams, both technical and management, plan technical implementations keeping in mind business impact and on-going support. Ensure project handover is completed prior to any project being closed.
• Have technical input into Infrastructure technology decisions.
Maintenance & Recovery:
• Ensure that the USS Backup, DR and restore functions are up to date and policies adhered to. Checking that we are meeting audit points on a regular basis.
• Manage the datacentre / edge networking systems and security systems lifecycle plan.
• Perform daily tasks under the umbrella of patching and maintenance, ensuring the USS infrastructure is secure and stable for all users.
• Assist senior management with policy and procedure governance ensuring it is up to date.
Strong experience and knowledge of core USS technologies including Cisco Routing & Switching, Firewalls, NAC, Pen Testing & Vulnerability Testing.
Experience managing a team of senior engineers.
Experience of managing a multi-site network.
WAN & LAN Design / Tendering & Implementation.
Technical project delivery and planning.
Experience in multi-site infrastructure support.
Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Able to effectively manage a technical workload both project and BAU.
Advanced problem-solving skills.
Some knowledge of Citrix NetScaler, Global Protect & SolarWinds.
Knowledge of security products such as Palo Alto, Cisco or ForeScout.
Datacentre storage support.
Office365 & Cloud networking technologies.
Experience working in investment management and associated technologies involved within that financial area.
Software defined networking.
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.