Strategy & Insight Officer
Business Area: Pensions Strategy
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
USS provides pensions to 350 employers and 400,000 members across the higher education sector.
The jobholder will be part of a small team responsible for developing the overall product strategy for USS and ensuring decisions about the pension scheme are informed by the best available evidence and insight.
This role will in particular be responsible for all aspects of USS research with members and employers.
• Development, delivery and dissemination of quantitative and qualitative research with USS members and employers.
• Provide relevant insights to major USS strategic projects, including the development of the scheme’s digital capabilities and focus on improving the member engagement and experience
• Ensure the scheme’s online member community runs effectively and delivers insights that help the business improve.
• Undertake research on strategic projects that arise, driven by the interest of the scheme’s stakeholders and Board.
• Negotiate agree and manage contracts with external research organisations, ensuring that clear expectations are set and met, and that output is timely and high quality.
• Manage and develop the USS Consumer Panel, building up a strong and diverse base of engaged participants and ensuring that the panel generates ongoing value for internal stakeholders.
• Build and leverage relationships with pensions industry to ensure USS is aware of relevant trends and insights
• Ensure that insight needs across all of USS are understood and reflected in research planning.
• Championthe cultural recognition of insights across the business, and support internal stakeholders in getting the best value out of the insight produced.
• Build relationships with research agencies and academics with relevant interests and identify opportunities for collaboration based on business need.
Managing Processes & Future Focus
• Carry out horizon scanning across Higher Education and Pensions sectors
• Oversight and analysis of key member interactions with the scheme, including member service desks
• Support the development of communications materials and key messages around changes to the scheme and new propositions
• Ensure that all research is conducted and communicated according to the legal and regulatory standards expected in the finance sector.
• Research skills (qualitative and quantitative)
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to create compelling narratives from research and data
• Knowledge of pensions
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.