Member Communications Specialist
Business Area: Pensions Strategy
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
Empower members to engage confidently with their pension by providing clear and timely communications in accessible formats.
Responsible for producing end to end member communications; from insight, planning and brief to collateral management, delivery and results, with a focus on the holistic member experience.
• Works with the Member Communications Delivery Lead to develop a high level deliverables plan driven by key member journeys and regulatory activity.
• Leads communication coordination from brief creation (following planning approval by Member Communications Manager), agency liaison and internal stakeholder engagement to ensure buy-in and provides updates. Proof edits comms materials ensuring accuracy of message and compliance with statutory (Legal) and regulatory (Compliance) requirements.
• Continually monitors the effectiveness of member communications activity, producing timely reports and commentary, suggesting improvements.
• Embeds a test and learn culture to comms production and implementation with a focus on digital first.
• Leads key work streams in tandem with the Member Communications Delivery Lead in accordance to the wider departmental strategy.
• Ensures the member communications proposition is applied consistently across all channels and in line with the wider journey and persona requirements.
• Acts as a custodian of the USS brand and style guidelines, ensuring consistent use across all platforms in terms of look, image, identity and message.
• Controls the accuracy of content and ensures it is, clear, engaging and reflects the organisation’s strategic objectives and brand pillars.
• Provides communications expertise, support and advice on a wide range of projects; represents member communications in internal task force projects and forums as required.
• Establishes and maintains effective internal and external stakeholder engagements.
• Tracks budgets in accordance with the Member Communications Support Officer.
• Supports plans and future requirements to enable the team to meet the needs of members, stakeholders and the business, including supporting the development of medium and longer-term plans that underpin the achievement of USS's pension’s strategy.
• Adheres to core departmental processes i.e. supplier contracting, agency briefing, messaging sign off, risk and data management, proposition formation process etc.
• Acts as a mentor for junior members of the team.
Detailed pensions knowledge advantageous;
Wider financial services/product knowledge would be an advantage;
Excellent communications skills;
Open and honest approach;
Skilled at building rapport and relationships;
Accuracy and attention to detail;
Able to identify/implement & utilise a range of software products to deliver the member communications objectives;
Able to think creatively and outside of the box;
Able and willing to challenge status quo;
Able to manage own workload proactively and prioritise as required;
Able to coach less senior members of the team;
Able to convert complex information into easily understandable content;
Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s ethos and values;
Educated to degree level or relevant experience, APMI qualified or working towards an advantage.
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.