Network and Security - Senior Engineer
Business Area: IT
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
The Network & Security – Senior Engineer role will be part of the Network & Security Team, the primary functions of which will be to support, maintain, develop and deploy new and existing technology within the USS network and security platform. To lead in the technical project work, as well as working closely with the other Technology Services functions to deploy new infrastructure tools. To be the technical escalation point for other teams within I.T. This role will include elements support, helping to manage the team’s queue and ensure a timely resolution to problems. To be point of escalation for critical incidents both in and out of hours.
• Take ownership of assigned work keeping problems, incidents and tasks up to date.
• Monitoring performance and troubleshooting network problems on the LAN and WAN.
• Planning, implementing, managing, monitoring and upgrading security measures for the protection of the organizations data, systems and networks.
• Testing for, documenting and identifying network and security vulnerabilities on the USS infrastructure.
• Remediation of system vulnerabilities through patching and updates as part of a planned maintenance programme for both Network and Security platforms.
• Configuration and management of USS Firewall solutions, working closely with the Cyber Security Analyst to ensure compliance and security across the USS infrastructure.
• Implementing and influencing security into BAU processes.
• Ensure the USS network platform is working effectively to ensure systems availability, stability and performance.
• Ensure problems and incidents are managed and root cause analysis is carried out.
• Successfully deliver project tasks on time and in line with the agreed scope set by I.T. Management and I.T. Project Management Team.
• Working with the Monitoring and Compliance Analyst develop and implement monitoring systems to ensure existing and new systems are managed and kept up to date.
• Technical documentation relating to new and existing technology. Ensure it is managed effectively.
• Assist with asset management working with the Configuration Manager.
• Responsible for ensuring standards are met and routine maintenance activities are identified and carried out.
• Working closely with the business to identify scheduled maintenance windows and develop a patching and maintenance strategy in line with the organisations security and maintenance policies.
• Develop and govern IT security technology solutions working with the Cyber Security Analyst.
• Lead by example to ensure high standards of professionalism in all aspects of delivering I.T. services to the business.
• Work with I.T. management and the wider I.T. team to deliver Infrastructure projects (Datacentre, Network & Security).
• Understand the department’s strategic objectives and support the delivery of related initiatives.
• Be the technical escalation point for engineers both in and out of business hours as required.
• Work with the business to arrange maintenance windows with a keen appreciation of the business impact and priorities.
• Working with internal teams such as Information Security, Operational Risk, Compliance and others, ensure that the USS security posture remains at acceptable levels whilst retaining security certifications and validation as required by internal and external audit.
• Stay current with technology developments, and make recommendations for change, working closely with the Technical Services Team.
• Ensure change control is managed and followed within the USS change control process.
• Be the escalation point for technical issues, lead in the root cause analysis of problems and own issues in critical and non-critical situations.
• Act as the technical mentor to the other technical teams within the Technology Services function.
• Engage with other technical teams to empower and facilitate the handover of technology with a focus to enable support services teams.
• Encourage a positive and professional team ethic through effective communication. Be approachable to your team and help and assist as required.
• Effectively manage workloads.
• Provide quality control for the team’s work giving guidance when necessary.
Customer Focused Service:
• With customer services a priority for the Technology Services function, provide the team with the business knowledge to understand how our organisation works enabling the correct prioritisation of work.
• Engage with key stakeholders on a regular basis, encouraging an open and collaborative communication stream across both Liverpool and London departments.
• Working with project teams, both technical and management, plan technical implementations keeping in mind business impact and on-going support. Ensure project handover is completed to a high standard prior to any project being closed.
• Have technical input into Infrastructure technology decisions.
Maintenance & Recovery:
• Ensure that the USS Backup, DR and restore functions are up to date and policies adhered to. Checking that we are meeting audit points on a regular basis.
• Manage the datacentre / edge networking systems and security systems lifecycle plan.
• Perform daily tasks under the umbrella of patching and maintenance, ensuring the USS infrastructure is secure and stable for all users.
• Assist senior management with policy and procedure governance ensuring it is up to date.
• Strong experience and knowledge of core USS Network technologies including Cisco Routing & Switching, WIFI technologies and building highly available networks.
• In-depth understanding of key security products such as Palo Alto, NAC, Pen Testing & Vulnerability Testing.
• Multi-vendor environment network and security environment.
• Experience of managing a multi-site network.
• WAN & LAN Design / Implementation.
• Technical project delivery and planning.
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
• Able to effectively manage a technical workload both project and BAU.
• Advanced problem-solving skills.
Some knowledge of Citrix NetScaler, Global Protect & SolarWinds.
Datacentre storage networking and support.
Azure other cloud networking technologies.
Experience working in investment management and associated technologies involved within the financial arena.
Software defined networking.
Datacentre Network Migrations.
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.