Finance Systems Lead
Business Area: Finance
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
The Finance Systems Lead is responsible for the development, implementation and administration of the USS financial systems, which are the core systems, SUN and Proactis, and all associated peripheral and boundary systems and interfaces. This involves ensuring the financial systems meet user requirements through understanding the business needs and managing the delivery of robust processes, controls, training and continuous improvements initiatives.
Improvement and Change
• Support the strategy to continually improve and embed change associated with the finance systems
• Lead improvements of all financial systems and technology, including updates to core financial modules and supporting modules and systems, including projects to support innovation in the reporting and accounting for Pensions, Investment and Group segments.
• Co-ordinate planning, timing and delivery of financial technology infrastructure changes with IT Business Systems and Change team, including upgrades, patches and ongoing functional enhancements
• Support the delivery of a portfolio of change projects and providing day to day support for all the live systems across finance.
Control and Compliance
• Maintenance and support, including demand management for all financial systems including SUN, Proactis and other peripheral systems
• Deliver a change control process to ensure all changes are properly approved and communicated to the effective stakeholders
• Perform system audit checks to ensure the access levels are appropriate and controls are robust and managed appropriately
• Maintain and control changes to master data in all finance systems.
• Ensure data is compliant with GDPR and that housekeeping activities of archived data are performed on a timely basis
• Ensure users receive appropriate support, training and education to enable them to use finance systems independently and in line with documented policies. Lead the feedback loop to improve our implemented systems to make them more intuitive and efficient to use.
• Alongside IT Business Systems and Change team, drive delivery of support and development services (as required) through 3rd party vendors, ensuring that they are effectively managed to ensure that business needs are met
• Interact internally and externally with senior management, through skilful communication and negotiation of often complex technical matters
• Collaborate with broader finance team to evaluate systems related requirements, translating user expectations into technical solutions
• Manage interfaces between Hartlink (Capita pension administration system), iTrent (payroll system) and other boundary systems.
• Lead and develop the training approach for all finance systems providing advice on the use of systems when required
• Holds accountancy qualification
• Strong understanding of financial control
• Experience in managing the administration of finance systems
• Highly organised; ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
• Experienced in managing and delivering change initiatives
• Good analytical skills and excellent attention to detail
• High level of IT literacy including Microsoft excel and other accounting software.
• Flexible approach with a willingness to constructively challenge existing practices
• Customer orientated with a passion for providing an excellent end-user experience
• High degree of integrity and discretion.
• Familiar with SUN and Proactis financial systems
• Experience in managing and delivering significant system change projects across a finance function
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Able to work under pressure and deliver to strict deadlines
• Working knowledge and experience of cloud-based financial systems
• Ability to present financial / financial systems information to a variety of audiences
• Understanding of databases, data structures and familiar with using PowerBi
• Understanding of investment management and reporting systems
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.