Operational Risk Analyst
Business Area: Group Risk
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
1. To assist the ERM team in developing our risk data management capabilities, in order to support the embedding of the risk management framework. The role will take responsibility for the administration of the aCCelerate system and all other repositories of risk data. This will include maintenance of the data and implementation of the risk data strategy in order to automate and standardise the production of regular and ad-hoc MI.
2. To support the ERM team in BAU activities, such as Risk & Control Self-Assessments; working with business stakeholders to further embed the risk management framework and the three lines of defence model.
This is a Data Analyst role for someone with Excel, PowerPoint, data management and management information reporting experience who is looking to develop their expertise in risk management.
Managing Risk Data:
• System administrator for the aCCelerate system and other operational risk data repositories.
• Proactive management of data quality for the aCCelerate system and other operational risk data repositories and support.
• Development and implementation of standard / cyclical and ad hoc reporting to provide risk MI and insight to inform Senior Management/Committees, in line with the Risk Governance Framework
• Support the Event Management process with the aggregation and analysis of operational risk events reported by the business, including performing root cause analysis, monitoring and recommendations for improvements to action plans to remediate issues on a timely basis.
• Drive continuous improvement of risk reporting and analysis through identification and implementation of opportunities for efficiency
• Key point of contact for Risk Champions, (to include provision of training on aCCelerate)
• Management of the monthly Operational Risk Forum (ORF).
• Take responsibility for ERM Intranet site, ensuring that appropriate resources are available for stakeholders to self-serve as effectively as possible.
• Take responsibility for administration of ERM (Microsoft) Teams site and provide training and support to ERM team on best practice in use of Teams,
• Support development of the Operational Risk Framework.
• Assist with Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA).
• Assist operational risk procedural documentation and take responsibility for maintenance.
• Support administration of regular functional Risk Boards.
• Undertake targeted gap analysis activity when required to highlight existing deficiencies that need to be resolved.
• Support and participate on ERM projects.
• Experience of managing data systems and MI reporting.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Strong knowledge of Excel and good PowerPoint skills.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Excellent communication skills are required, occasionally using significant levels of judgement to influence positive outcomes.
• Knowledge of Power BI or similar tool would be beneficial but not essential.
• Background of working in a Financial Services organization desirable but not essential.
• Risk Management knowledge desirable but not essential.
• Stakeholder engagement experience desirable but not essential.
• Continuous Improvement, Lean or Six Sigma knowledge desirable but not essential.
• Commitment to ongoing personal and professional development is essential (e.g. a commitment to further study).
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.