Business Area: HR
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
• Provide pragmatic advice and guidance to managers and employees on all people related initiatives, polices and procedures.
• Develop effective relationships with managers across the business to enable the provision of high-quality, proactive advice on the HR implications of departmental strategies and plans.
• Support resourcing activity across allocated business areas, as well as supporting the SHRBP on resourcing initiatives for the whole of the Group.
• Support and lead, where appropriate, the delivery of HR projects, both new initiatives and cyclical activity.
• Provide advice and guidance to employees and managers on informal and formal policies and processes such as Flexible Working requests, performance management, absence management, disciplinary, grievance and redundancy/ restructure proposals.
• Coach managers through employee issues and/ or concerns, providing balanced and pragmatic guidance.
• Support HRBPs in the delivery of more complex employee relations processes, for instance preparing letters and documentation and attending/ supporting informal and formal meetings.
• Lead advice and guidance to HR Admin function on maternity, paternity and parental leave.
HR Business Partnering
• Support the SHRBP and HRBP Liverpool in annual headcount planning for relevant Group and Pensions business areas, including quarterly forecasts.
• In conjunction with the HR Systems and Data Officer, provide data and insight to managers that supports them in their people objectives/ plans (for example monthly absence reports).
• Track and manage agreed resourcing plans for relevant Group and Pensions business areas – providing proactive support to managers to enable them to resource effectively whilst considering budget constraints and Value for Money.
• Liaising with the outsource resourcing partner, actively manage ongoing resourcing to ensure quality of service to managers and delivery of headcount plans.
• Support the delivery of people initiatives to relevant Group and Pensions business areas.
• Support the creation of people plans and activity that support business areas with the delivery of their strategic aims.
• Lead engagement across designated business areas that enables a strong relationship between HR and managers/employees, such as attending team meetings; manager forums; and team huddles.
• Support annual reward and talent activity across relevant Group and Pensions business areas.
• Lead the delivery of the Engagement Survey, with support from the SHRBP Liverpool, and support HRBP/SHRBP with action planning for relevant business areas.
• In conjunction with the SHRBP/HRBP, use knowledge of business areas to input to HR/ People strategy and planned initiatives.
• Support the SHRBP/HRBP with challenging and overseeing the Organisational Design (OD) of Group Liverpool and Pensions functions, taking an active role in OD projects where appropriate.
• Support the implementation and ongoing application of the Group’s job level/career development framework.
• Deliver people management related training sessions to managers and employees, where relevant.
• Support the SHRBP Liverpool with general HR operational activity, such as HR policies; process activity; risk; and payroll.
• In conjunction with the HR Systems and Data Officer, ensure the HR intranet content is up to date and relevant for employees and managers. Continue to develop ideas to enhance the intranet site, with the focus on efficient and effective delivery of people related information to stakeholders.
• Support the SHRBP in managing the supplier relationship and outsourced resourcing arrangement as well as continuous improvement and enhancements to resourcing at USS Group.
HR Projects / other
• Provide lead support to the SHRBP with diversity and inclusion activity, particularly within attraction and onboarding and people working practices.
• Provide support to a wide range of HR projects such as, health and wellbeing, engagement and talent.
• Represent HR in cross-functional projects and activity as required.
• Champion diversity and inclusion across USS Group.
• Good understanding of employment law/ACAS codes of practice, with demonstrable experience in managing employee issues
• Good understanding of resourcing best practice
• Active interest in diversity and inclusion, ideally with experience of implementing activity to enhance and progress diversity and inclusion
• Ability to use judgement to interpret and apply HR policies and best practice to the specific circumstance
• Excellent consultative and stakeholder management skills
• Demonstratable experience in providing advice and guidance on HR policy and process to employees and managers
• Ability to influence and challenge managers and employees where appropriate
• Ability to prioritise and organise self to deliver to clients
• Ability to balance people related risk with pragmatic commercial outcomes
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first.