Operational Risk Manager FTC
Business Area: Group Risk
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
To support the Operational Risk Management (ORM) team in the implementation, development and embedding of:
• Operational risk framework.
• Enterprise risk framework.
• Operational Risk Reporting and Data Management.
A senior analyst/ Manager role for someone who has a good understanding of risk management and experience or
moving towards enhancing their training and managerial skills (1FTE) to support the Operational
Risk Manager. The role will be focussed on USSL activities which will be undertaken in the Liverpool Office,
however occasional support for USSIM may be required at times.
The role will require the candidate to be the subject matter expert (SME) on the aCCelerate system and risk data, and will also need to manage the relationship with our 3rd Party Suppliers and key IT stakeholders.
The role will also be responsible as part of the EORM team for the implementation of the risk framework in Liverpool, including facilitation and attendance at risk workshops, event management and responsibility for leading on and supporting ad hoc projects as required.
Managing and oversight of Risk Data and reporting.
• Key system administrator for the aCCelerate system and other operational risk data repositories.
• Managing data quality for the aCCelerate system and other operational risk data repositories.
• Leading the development and implementation of standard / cyclical and ad hoc reporting to provide risk MI and insight to inform Senior Management, in line with the Risk Governance Framework
• Deliver training requirements for the use of aCCelerate with other business teams in accordance with their business needs and drivers.
• Train and support Operational Risk Analyst to develop their reporting and aCCelerate capability and develop operational risk management skills.
• Lead aggregation and analysis of operational risk data and event reporting by the business, including performing root cause analysis, monitoring and recommendation of improvements to action plans which remediate events on a timely basis. Working with the Risk Champion model to support this activity.
• Ensure ongoing continuous improvement to risk reporting, automation and analysis, responding to business requirements and proactively enhancing reporting and analysis of risk data.
• Attendance may be required at Committees with Senior Stakeholder groups.
• Support the application and ongoing development of Operational Risk Framework.
• Assist risk owners and Risk Champions with the identification, assessment and documentation of risks and controls (RCSA).
• Assist with the maintenance of operational risk procedural documentation.
• Conduct regular Executive Functional Risk Boards to ensure reporting is documented and tailored at senior management/executive level.
• Timely delivery of papers into Group Risk Committee and others as required.
• Lead, support and participate on planned and ad hoc projects including Data Strategy
• Administer and deliver staff education activities where required.
• Development of Change Risk Management skills (CRAM)
• Experience of managing data systems and MI reporting
• Background of working in a financial services organisation, or pension administration
• Risk management knowledge and experience are required, though no specific qualifications are required for the performance of this role
• Excellent communication skills are required, occasionally using significant levels of judgement to influence positive outcomes
• Excellent attention to detail
• Experience of people management
• Experience of Stakeholder Management
• Strong interpersonal skills required
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first.