Technology Services Architect - Network & Security
Business Area: IT
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
The Technology Services Architect – Network & Security will ensure that current and new systems fit the USS
enterprise environment. Understanding how all parts of the business model work including processes, technology, and
application architectures. Meeting the requirements of the USS and USSIM stakeholders, ensuring functional and
operational needs are considered. Translating the technical architecture into the technical project and business project
initiatives. Taking the role of subject matter experts in their specialism, providing guidance and assistance to all
technical teams ensuring the integrity of USS systems.
Ensuring the USS technology stack is fit for the organisation, constantly reviewing, and assessing the needs
of the business against the technology in operation.
• Creation and management of documentation including but not limited to Topology Diagrams, Low Level
Designs, High Level Designs, Solutions proposals, Procedural documents and technical user guides.
• Analyse the technology environments.
• Network Modelling: Develop, Maintain, Secure and Improve critical Data Flows.
• Create solutions prototypes, and designs.
• Control solution development.
• Participate in the technology direction for the organisation.
• Solution development and control.
• Infrastructure and Cloud design & management.
• Project and product management.
• Present solutions to Infrastructure & Security manager and Head of I.T. for consideration.
• Assist in maintaining Operational and Project RAID logs.
• Be the escalation point for technical issues, assist in the root cause analysis of problems and own issues in
critical situations when required.
• Act as the technical mentor to the technical teams and ensuring that designs and technology is handed over in
• Engage with other technical teams to empower and facilitate the handover to technology with a focus to
enable support services teams as much as possible.
• Encourage a positive and professional team ethic throughout the team, maintaining standards and promoting a
pride of ownership for all teams.
• Be approachable to both technical and business areas.
• Provide quality control for technology deployments, offering guidance where needed.
Customer Focused Service:
• With customer services a priority for I.T. provide the team with the business knowledge to understand how
our organisation works enabling the correct prioritisation of work.
• Engage with key stakeholders on a regular basis, encouraging an open and collaborative communication
stream across both Liverpool and London departments.
• Working with project teams, both technical and management, plan technical implementations keeping in
mind business impact and on-going support.
• Ensure newly proposed solutions fit the USS infrastructure and strategy.
• Ensure project handover is completed prior to any project being closed. Have technical input into
Maintenance & Recovery:
• Ensure that the USS Backup, DR and restore functions are up to date and policies adhered too.
• Check that we are meeting audit points on a regular basis. Manage the datacentre and EUC patching and
maintenance programme to maintain a compliant platform.
• Assist senior management with policy and procedure governance ensuring it is up to date.
• Strong experience and knowledge of core USS technologies including Cisco Routing & Switching, Cisco
Wireless Controllers and Palo Alto Next Gen Firewalls including Global Protect and Panorama.
• Detailed understanding of IP Mobility, Load Balancing and High availability methods and techniques.
• Technical project delivery and planning.
• Experience delivering proof of concept technical solutions to meet defined requirements.
• Knowledge of security products such as Rapid 7 and ForeScout.
• System design and implementation.
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
• Multi-vendor environment.
• WAN & LAN Design / Implementation.
• Able to effectively manage a technical workload both project and BAU.
• Some knowledge of Citrix NetScaler, Splunk & SolarWinds.
• Office365 configuration and administration.
• Experience working in investment management and associated technologies involved within that financial
• Azure & Cloud networking technologies
• Certificate Services\PKI.
• Endpoint protection including anti-malware, app control and device control.
• Understanding of ITIL, Prince2 & TOGAF
• Business Analysis
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first.