Senior Category Manager
Business Area: Finance
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
Maximising value through supplier and contract/commercial management, identification of opportunities for continuous improvement and application of best practice procurement.
Working with the Head of Procurement to increase value for USS members and operational control through improved management of new and existing suppliers and associated approval to spend processes.
* Maintain procedures, controls and guidance for improving the procurement and management of suppliers across business areas, encourage adoption of these and assess areas for improvement through regular collaboration with business areas and ongoing monitoring of adherence. This will include delivering training to non-Procurement and non-Finance individuals in the organisation
* Provide partnering and guidance to business areas, ongoing value benchmarking, procurement advice (including input to ITTs/RFPs), and making timely plans for exit/replacement. This will mainly involve internal partnering, and working with external advisors, and providing support for the Head of Procurement for a small number large suppliers which provide complex services where direct engagement is required.
* Input into benchmarking strategies for the key suppliers, in collaboration with business areas.
* Monitor key supplier health and market events for exposure risks.
* Review and cleanse supplier data to support MI initiatives. Analyse expenditure and recommend strategies for improving value (including savings/rationalisation opportunities).
* Control and monitor expenditure trends identifying recommendations for savings, report all external expenditure in accordance with policy and best practice, highlight pertinent implications and emerging issues through the appropriate meetings.
* Identify, initiate and deliver improvements to expenditure and purchase controls partnering with the Finance Team.
* Provide specialist support to the Purchase Ledger team and be responsible for continuous improvement of the Purchase Ordering systems and processes
* Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
* Hold a professional finance, contract management or procurement management qualification
* Excellent business and commercial acumen
* Capable of building collaborative relationships at every level across the business and with external advisors and suppliers
* A credible finance professional capable of representing the organisation and its commercial interests in contract negotiations
* A good communicator who seeks to understands the commercial implications and builds collaborative relationships at every level across the business
* Strong analytical skills, problem solving capability, an enquiring approach and ability to challenge
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s ethos and values
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first.