Senior Financial Accountant
Business Area: Finance
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
• Responsible for production of the Annual Report & Accounts and oversight of USSIM and USSL statutory accounts and SPV statutory accounts.
• Responsible for co-ordinating the external audit on an annual basis.
• Manage the delivery of USSIM/USSL financial accounting and prepare quarterly scheme accounts including narrative and supporting analysis.
• Responsible for maintaining an appropriate financial control environment including co-ordinating sign off on key controls and review of balance sheet reconciliations.
• Delivery of continuous improvement to all the core processes and outputs of the activities above.
Annual Report & Accounts :
• Lead project management of delivery of ARA including plan definition and management of stakeholders including collation of commentary from content owners, where required supported by dedicated project management resource.
• Lead supplier management for ARA as first point of contact, tracking budgets and monitoring delivery
• Quality review of financial statements and provision of narrative and analytical review including commentary
• Review of data verification file to ensure accuracy and completeness of verification information
USSIM and USSL statutory accounts:
• Lead project management of delivery of USSIM / USSL accounts
• Quality review of financial statements e.g analytical review, commentary including review of accuracy and completeness of data verification files.
• Provision of commentary to demonstrate understanding of key movements and balances
SPV statutory accounts:
• Lead the production of SPV accounts including the preparation of more complex sets of accounts and the review of low risk statutory accounts
• Review of management accounts prior to submission to SPV Boards
• Lead review and continuous improvement activities around controls, policies and procedures for SPVs
USSIM/USSL financial accounting
• Analytical review of bonus forecast and accruals process including reporting and explanation of actuals against forecast and budget
• Delivery of balance sheet reconciliations for USS accounts managed by Group Reporting
• Review dilapidations accrual, deficit recovery provision and holiday accrual.
• Prepare LTIP provision calculation and supporting analysis.
Scheme financial accounting
• Collation of information to enable preparation of quarterly scheme accounts reporting pack including narrative and supporting analysis of variances
• Review contribution journals and co-ordinate improvement of contribution accounting
• Collation of information to enable preparation of monthly scheme accounts reporting pack including narrative and supporting analysis of variances
• Provide detailed plan for external audit for USS, USSL / USSIM and review and oversee plan for SPVs
• Key point of contact for execution of the audit
• Key point of contact for general audit queries and information requests
• Hold a professional accounting qualification such as ACA or ACCA.
• Educated to degree level.
• Experience of preparing, reviewing and submitting statutory accounts
• Knowledge and experience of financial systems, accounting processes and controls
• Experience of audit and co-ordinating external audits
• Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills
• Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisations ethos and values
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.